Book A Child Psychologist Near You
New Vision Psychology has psychologists who have extensive experience with children’s counselling. Our mental health practitioners can deliver counselling sessions across three Sydney locations:
- Sydney CBD
For your convenience and comfort, we have a team of male and female psychologists who can conduct counselling sessions in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Italian, and Hebrew. Since we have multiple locations and a large support team, we can typically see you with minimal delay.
A standard session at New Vision Psychology is 50-minutes in duration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Child psychology is a branch of psychology that targets the emotional, mental and social psyche of young people. Using developmental psychology schools of thought, children must go through milestones in their early years, in particular;
- Physical milestones (motor skills like crawling and drawing)
- Cognitive milestones (learning and problem solving)
- Socio-emotional milestones (social skills)
- and Communication milestones.
Psychologists in this field assess how a child meets these milestones, such as how they learn and interact with others.
There are certain disorders that are more prevalent in children, and parents should be aware of the symptoms. It is important to note that children under five are most likely only going to show symptoms of disorders, but not be specifically diagnosed until they are older. Common disorders and symptoms of each are as follows;
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) – low concentration, cannot sit still, interrupts others talking
- Conduct Disorder – aggressive, deceitful, disobeys rules (behavioural problems)
- Anxiety Disorder – restlessness, panicking, trouble sleeping
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) – hostile, anger episodes
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – does not make eye contact, uses noises to get attention, does not pick up on others expressions
- Eating Disorders – unhealthy relationship with food, over or undereating
- Depression – long periods of sadness, irregular sleeping, mood swings, crying, self-esteem issues
- Learning Disorders – does not speak, repeats a few words, learning difficulties
A child psychologist has experience and training in assessing and treating children and adolescence. They help children cope with stressor and anxieties such as school bullying, family conflicts, divorce and transition difficulties.
They diagnose and provide treatment for children presenting with a wide range of issues including attention deficit disorder, autism, obsessive-compulsive disorder, phobias, and adjustment disorder.
You do not need a referral to see a child psychologist, however, if your child has a diagnosable mental health condition, they may be eligible to get a Medicare rebate with a GP mental Health Care Plan.
It is important to choose a psychologist who is experienced and trained in understanding children and developmental psychology and are experienced in working with kids and their families.
At New Vision Psychology our child psychologists have the knowledge and experience required to connect with kids and adolescents. Our aim is to engage children in participating proactively in sessions which is aimed at increase positive outcomes. We also believe in working collaboratively with parents and caretakers. We provide feedback about your child’s therapy and consult parents on treatment plans for the best outcome.