Cognitive assessments and psychological reports
There are a number of reasons why you will need cognitive assessment or reporting carried out by a clinical or registered psychologist in New South Wales.
|Psychometric testing (including cognitive assessment for NDIS)||$1,560|
|Autism screening & diagnosis (full assessment)||$2,600|
|ADHD screening & diagnosis (full assessment)||$1,560|
|Comprehensive mental health assessment and report for the purpose of court (Please note: New Vision Psychology does not provide services for forensic court reports, independent family law reports and expert witness reports)||$1,500|
|Cosmetic surgery or procedure psychological assessment||$750|
|NDIS review report (1-2 hours at NDIS rates)||$214|
|Other reports||$300 per hour|
Most psychological reports and cognitive assessments will require an in-person consultation.
For cognitive assessments and psychometric testing, New Vision Psychology uses standardised assessments involving up to 6-hours of interviews, assessments, report writing and recommendations.
Most reports produced by our team are 1-2 pages in length. Court and pre-sentencing reports can go up to 7-8 pages depending on the requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-IV) is the most advanced measure of adult intellectual ability.
- Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-V) is the gold standard assessment tool designed to measure a child’s intellectual ability.
- Wechsler Preschool & Primary Scale of Intelligence (WPPSI-IV) measures cognitive development for pre-schoolers and young children.
- Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT) is an individually administered measure of oral language, reading, written language and mathematics.
- Vineland is the leading instrument for supporting the diagnosis of intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Test of Everyday Attention for Children (TEA-Ch) is a standardised and normed clinical battery that measures different attentional capacities in children aged 6–16.
- Autism Diagnostic Interview – Revised (ADI-R) is a semi-structured diagnostic interview used with parents or caregivers of individuals with autism.
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule – Second Edition (ADOS-2) is a standardised diagnostic test for autism across ages, developmental levels and language skills
- Adaptive Behaviour Assessment System – Third Edition (ABAS-III) is a multidimensional standardised tool used for the complete assessment of adaptive skills across the life span.
- Behaviour Assessment System for Children, Third Edition (BASC-3) is the targeted individual assessment of behaviour and emotions for children and adolescents.
We charge $260 per hour for psychometric assessments.
Each psychometric assessment (e.g WISC, WAIS, WPPSI and WIAT) generally takes 6 hours and costs $1560.
When using a combination of assessments, this typically takes 10 hours and costs $2600.
An initial assessment is required to prepare NDIS reviews, immigration reports, separation certificates and court reports.
You will need to attend at least one 50-minute session, which is not included in the report fee.
This will depend on their current schedule and next availability. Please note that not all psychologists are able to complete reports. To organise a report with your preferred psychologist, call us at 1300 001 778. We will update you on their latest availabilities and book this in for you.
Provisional psychologists are interns who are undergoing training and being supervised by fully registered psychologists. They have studied for 4 or 5 years, and require 1 or 2 more years of supervised practice, before they may receive their full registration from the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). Provisional psychologists are not eligible to provide a Medicare rebate.
Registered or general psychologists have received their full registration from AHPRA. They have completed at least 6 years of studies and training. More than 60% of Australia’s psychologists are registered psychologists. Psychologists with a general registration apply their skills across a broad range of professional settings. They assess, diagnose and treat a wide range of clients and areas of concern. They also conduct psychological assessments and write psychological reports. They do not have an endorsement in a specific area of practice. Registered psychologists are eligible to provide a Medicare rebate of $92.90 per session under the Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative.
Clinical psychologists have an endorsement in the area of clinical psychology. They have completed at least 8 years of studies and training. Clinical psychologists design and implement treatment strategies in clinical settings such as primary care, psychiatric and rehabilitation settings. In private practice, clinical and registered psychologists often do similar types of work. Clinical psychologists are eligible to provide a Medicare rebate of $136.35 per session under the Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative.
At New Vision Psychology, all our psychologists are registered or clinical psychologists. They meet high standards in education, training, supervised practice, ethics and ongoing professional development. They are also able to provide Medicare rebates. Whether you’re seeing a clinical or registered psychologist, you should expect the same quality of care, ethical behaviour and standard of practice.
For cognitive assessments and ASD/ADHD diagnoses, results will be ready between 1 to 4 weeks after the completion of your assessment. An accurate timeline will be provided at the time of your assessment.
All other reports will typically be ready within 5 business days from the completion of your assessment.
If an urgent report is required, please call our team at 1300 001 778. We will try to assist you in finding a practitioner who has availability to provide the report sooner.
Most psychometric tests (including IQ tests and intelligence tests) require up to 2 hours of testing onsite with a clinician. The total time required for each assessment is 6 hours.
- Part 1: Clinical interview and background assessment (1 hour)
- Part 2: Onsite cognitive testing (up to 2 hours)
- Part 3: Test scoring, results interpretation and report preparation (3 hours)
New Vision Psychology has 5 locations across Sydney and we can usually fit in urgent matters with minimal delay.
To find out about our upcoming availabilities, please call us at 1300 001 778. We will help you organise your assessment or report immediately.
- Part 1: Initial consultation for the caregiver/parents only (1 hour)
- Location: Any of our clinics, telehealth or phone
- In this session, we will advise you if formal assessment is necessary.
- Part 2: Clinical Interview (ADI-R) for the caregiver/parents only (2 hours)
- Location: Any of our clinics, telehealth or phone
- Part 3: Autism Assessment (ADOS-2) for the child or client (1 hour)
- Location: Sydney CBD or Castle Hill clinic
- Part 4: Assessment scoring, results interpretation and report writing (6 hours)
The sessions must be conducted on separate days.
The complete autism assessment and diagnosis process takes around 10 hours in total.
- Part 1: Clinical interview + clinical screener (1 hour)
- Part 2: Cognitive assessment (2 hours)
- Part 3: Assessment scoring, results interpretation and report writing (3-4 hours)
The complete ADHD assessment and diagnosis process takes around 6-7 hours in total.
We provide a wide range of child developmental assessments for various purposes including global developmental delay.
If you’re looking for assessments not mentioned above, call us on 1300 001 778 to discuss your specific needs and requirements. We have various tools and tests to cater to different needs.
New Vision Psychology is a registered NDIS provider. We work collaboratively with case managers and other supports to provide highly informative NDIS review letters that reflect the psychological needs of participants.
A NDIS review involves a diagnosis, treatment plan, prognosis and recommendations for funding. For existing clients, we also include their current treatment and how they have progressed.
The process involves an initial assessment (1 hour) and report writing (2 hours). An NDIS review takes a total of 3 hours.
We conduct psychological assessments for visa and immigration purposes. Our reports provide medical evidence for special considerations based on mental health grounds. They help the immigration department assess the eligibility of an individual’s visa application or appeal.
Examples of circumstances which may require these reports:
- International student who has not been able to attend classes
- Australian citizen whose spouse’s visa has been cancelled
- Travel exemptions based on mental health grounds
- Moving from a partner visa to a different visa due to domestic violence
An immigration report requires at least one 50-minute assessment.
The report costs $650 and will be ready within 5 working days.
We provide reports for educational institutions to assess students’ special considerations based on mental health grounds.
This involves at least one 50-minute assessment.
The report costs $350 and will be ready within 5 working days.
If you’ve been married for less than 2 years and want to apply for a divorce, the law requires both parties to attend counselling to discuss the possibility of reconciliation prior to applying for divorce.
Your counsellor will complete a Counselling Certificate indicating that you and your spouse have attended this session. You will need to attach this certificate to your application for divorce.
This requires a 1-hour couples’ assessment and costs $250 in total. You will receive the certificate at the end of your session.
New Vision Psychology provides a range of court reports, including pre-sentencing reports. We assist with all legal matters that require mental health assessments.
A court report includes the individual’s mental health history, mental health around the time of incident and their treatment plan.
Please note that New Vision Psychology does not provide services for forensic court reports, independent family law reports and expert witness reports.
This requires at least one 50-minute assessment.
A comprehensive mental health assessment court report costs is $1500
We understand that court reports are time-sensitive and work closely with clients to ensure their reports are delivered in time for their hearing.
As of 1 July 2023, everyone seeking cosmetic surgery or a non-surgical cosmetic procedure will be subject to a mandatory psychological screening. If significant underlying issues are found, they will need to be referred to a psychologist, psychiatrist or GP for further assessment.
We provide psychological assessments for this purpose. Click here to find out more.
Referrals are usually not required for assessments and reports. Exceptions apply.